[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi frontend via Raspbmc - first try report

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Dec 11 10:54:44 UTC 2012

On 12-12-10 06:34 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> I  used the new myth pvr plugin which is part of the new pvr part of xbmc.

Interesting.  I have been looking at XBMC and even tried the upcoming
stable (could be stable by now) version.  It's very nice, to be sure.

The PVR bits are still too lacking though.  Biggest gripe I guess is
with commercial skipping.  AFAICT, the only mode of commercial skipping
they support is "automatic" -- that is XBMC automatically skips past
commercials per the commskip markers in MythTV.

My experience is that mythcommflag is still far too inaccurate to be
handing control of commercial skipping over to the computer for me to
do.  Using mythfrontend even, I frequently have to correct after using
the commskip buttons on my remote.

The other nice feature -- although I suppose I wouldn't need it if
commskip was accurate is the sticky keys.  That is, by default FF skips
30 secs at a time and REW skips 5 seconds at a time but after using REW
to skip back, FF then only skips 5 seconds forward at a time.  All very
handy for fixing up mythtv's inaccurate commskipping.

On the subject of commskipping inaccuracies though, it seems really odd
to me.  There are lots of times that the commflagger flags beyond the
end of the commercial break even when there is a very clear set of
"black frames" at the end of the break.  I suspect something fundamental
has gone funky in the commskipping code.  Maybe it's better on 0.26
(although I'm not holding my breath).  I'm still on 0.25-fixes.

Without accurate commercial flagging and/or manual commercial skipping
in XBMC, I can't see a switch having very high FAF (Family Acceptance
Factor) around here.  Although we don't really do anything other than
watch recorded TV, but I wonder if that's just simply because the
existing tools for doing anything other have just not been up to sharing
them with the family.  XMBC's tools for "other than" watching PVR TV on
the other hand look pretty good.

b.