[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] Re: how long will myth record shows an hour late

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at jacob21819.net
Tue Dec 11 05:34:21 UTC 2012

> Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 17:29:07 -0800
> From: rm.riches at jacob21819.net (Robert M. Riches Jr.)
> To: mtdean at thirdcontact.com, mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] how long will myth record shows an hour
> 	late
>
> > Message: 12
> > Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:35:46 -0500
> > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> > To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] how long will myth record shows an hour
> > 	late?

> > > Not on your version it doesn't, that change came in 0.26.

> > > Sorry about your uptime, but I think a reboot may sort this.
> > >

> > Yes. Even in MythTV 0.24, a properly-configured system (i.e. the distro
> > underlying MythTV) will handle the time change without problems--I never
> > rebooted my systems nor restarted MythTV on them for any DST changes and
> > recordings worked without issue, even before any mythfilldatabase runs
> > occurred after the change.  I.e. the change was transparent (with the
> > exception that recording a show that started or ended on or crossed the
> > DST boundary required a start early/end late).  And, especially for US
> > users (guessing based on your e-mail address) who use Schedules Direct,
> > you can't have old listings data stick around, so it couldn't be a
> > problem with your data.  (Now, if you're using EIT data because you
> > didn't think it was worth $25/yr to get high-quality data, you may
> > actually still have old, garbage data still--i.e. perhaps this is part
> > of the price you pay to save that $25/yr.)
> >
> > So, assuming you're a Schedules Direct user (and, potentially, even if
> > you're an EIT or XMLTV user***) something underneath MythTV is broken on
> > your system, causing MythTV's behavior to be broken.  In these
> > situations, the easiest thing to do is to reboot so that the underlying
> > system "picks up the change."  The alternative is to find the underlying
> > brokenness and figure out how to fix it so that in the future, users of
> > your distro won't have such problems.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > *** If you are in North America, you should *not* be using XMLTV with
> > tv_grab_na_dd rather than using the "internal" Schedules Direct code
> > because there's no benefit in doing so--and there are actually some
> > disadvantages.  And if you're in North America, I know you're not using
> > XMLTV with mce2xml, since doing so is a violation of the Windows MCE
> > Terms of Service.
>
> Thank you for the info.  In my case, I'm using plain-old EIT,
> because $25/yr is a bit cost-ineffective when the recording
> list is only one (well, two on weekdays) news programs.  No
> Windows in this house, so MCE is not applicable.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

In case it might help some other user, restarting MythBackend
was sufficient to fix the problem of shows being recorded an
hour late--which MythBackend had been doing since the switch
from DST back to standard time.  So, there was no need to
reboot and lose the 70+ days of uptime.  It sort-of looks like
the Myth TV 0.24.1 in Mageia 1 records the difference between
local time and UTC/GMT once when it starts and doesn't check
whether local time changes in between.

(Sadly, after passing 79 days of uptime, the run was cut short
by a kernel NULL pointer when unplugging the USB cable to a
Plextor PX-M402U I bought at a thrift store for US$10.  It's
a nice-looking unit, but it's not worth crashing the kernel
when the go7007 driver module lays an egg.)

Thanks for the replies that yielded the solution.

Robert