[mythtv-users] Video 'waves' of speed up, slow down watching recorded TV

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:38:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Dan Gravell <dan.gravell at talk21.com> wrote:

> Ah, apologies, but it turns out I was running the nvidia proprietary
> drivers after all ("version current").
>
> I re-enabled standard VDPAU (it was on 'Normal' playback config before)
> and the results are interesting... one CPU is now always pegged at 100% CPU
> or thereabouts. A/V sync is always a negative number.
>
> I wonder why the CPU usage appears *greater* when VDPAU is enabled?
>
> But most importantly, the speed up/slow down appears to be lessened. I'll
> keep my eye on it, the extent to which it is manifest depends very much on
> the video content being watched.
>
> Dan

Interestingly, I have had the same behavior with all of my frontends with
playback of my blu-rays under videos.  I have several similar GPUs in my
three Zotac IONITX-C-U, three Zotac ZBox ID11, and one NVidia GT210.
 Panning shots are the most obvious.  The videos plays back
slow-fast-slow-fast...  Audio is unaffected, and no obvious dropped frames.
 It is still watchable, but rather annoying.  I am running Mythbuntu 12.04
with .25.  I will admit that I didn't do any debugging yet.  I will look
into it this weekend.

-Tom