[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Dec 4 23:37:50 UTC 2012

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> No, Watch Recordings used the INFO to show info (and *context* menu) on
> the selected recording.  It was changed because many people whined that
> "Any sane user interface doesn't need 2 menus," so now we have 2 menus
> and an impossible to describe user interface ("Hit MENU, and if you
> don't see <whatever>, hit MENU, again...").

How is this harder to use, or describe, than telling people they have
to bind two separate buttons and remember what functions appear in
which menu? Besides, you and I both know that the Watch Recordings
menu is context-sensitive and will almost always do the right thing.

> Again, INFO was always for information/context menu and MENU was for
> "main" menu (i.e. like the one you'd have at the top of the
> application, versus the right-click/context menu).
>
> What Mike says is 100% accurate (and not the revisionist history of
> those who complained until MENU got changed).

Please spare us the patented Michael T. Dean passive aggressiveness.

No, it makes no sense, in an environment with relatively limited
buttonspace (I have a programmable remote with softkeys, but most
don't), to have two menus that are completely separate and require two
different buttons. You were wrong when mythtv-users had this debate
after 0.22 was released. More importantly, other developers disagreed
with you; otherwise the change would never have occurred.

Let me repeat: Developers have 100% of the power, and rightly so. If
the majority of developers had not wanted this change to occur it
would not have happened. Don't try--as you have done in other such
situations--to "blame" this change on users instead of to an
intradeveloper debate you lost.