[mythtv-users] mythbackend unstable after latest trunk upgrade - Resolved?

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Dec 4 19:30:46 UTC 2012

I updated to the most recent trunk version and since then my master
backend is very unstable.  Prior to the upgrade mythbackend would almost
never crash and now it does a few times a day.

I have two backends running on fedora. One is version fedora 17 and the
other is fedora 15.  My tuners are two HDHR's and two HDPVR's. I have
moved my master backend from the fedora 15 computer to the fedora 17
computer and there was no change.  The problem appears to occur when an
H.264 show is played and sometimes when one is recorded.  I am honestly
afraid to watch recordings now while another show is recording because
the master backend is likely to segfault.  I see many PRW: Calling
ReadStringList() log entries per second when watching an H.264 recording
and then a segfault and this does not happen with an MPEG recording.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I should have remembered this from the last time the database schema was
updated.  It appears that whenever there is a database schema update I need
to delete my video sources and set them up from scratch again. After doing
that I can now watch a H.264 recording without the master backend crashing.
I am not sure this resolved the issue but so far so good.