[mythtv-users] Is Mirobridge still the best way to import recordings from RSS?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:12:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> IMHO, Video Library is the best way to import any kind of
> not-recorded-by-this-**particular-MythTV-system video into MythTV...
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.**com/lists/mythtv/users/534286#**534286<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/534286#534286>
>
> In summary, it's easier to organize (it's organized by you), you can name
> the videos anything (i.e. to include metadata which would allow you to
> identify them even in the loss of a MythTV database), and it's /much/
> better for filtering/sorting/searching/**navigating.  Watch Recordings is
> a simple flat view of the database contents that can only be filtered by
> recording group or category.
>
> IMHO, sticking videos into Watch Recordings is akin to sending yourself
> e-mail messages to store large files...  It's just not designed for that
> type of use.
>
> Mike

Hmm, interesting. I had thought that MythVideo was just a flat view until I
read some of your links. To be honest I haven't used MV much because my
MetaData lookups don't work and the navigation has always been terrible in
my experience. But, I have a Boxee Box so I have spent zero time actually
looking into why MV behaves the way it does, and watch all of my videos via
the Box.

That being said, I don't necessarily want to keep any of these recordings
long-term. I honestly don't have a real plan here, this is more of a PoC
test. But, if it works the way I think it should in my head, new imports
would show up as if they were new recordings, and the auto expiration rules
would apply based on date, space available and watched status. In addition,
if I subscribed, the episodes would show up automatically, with no other
user intervention.

I'm in the process of setting this up now, so my opinion could change at
any moment. :-)