[mythtv-users] Backend Server Client with FrontEnd Server

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 4 04:23:43 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 11:05 PM, Jason But wrote:
> On 12/04/12 11:02, Ryan Rolland wrote:
>> Been looking at setting up MythTV. Would like to be able to stream to a
>> remote location.
>>
>> At the prospective remote location I have access to the router and can
>> configure port forwarding but at the server location I do not. I am
>> curious
>> if MythTV has a mode of operation that allows you to run the Backend
>> Server
>> as a client and the FrontEnd Client as a Server, i.e. have a listening
>> socket configured on the FrontEnd and periodically have the server
>> try to
>> establish a connection? This would be a workaround for the firewall
>> at the
>> backend server location.
>>
>> Just thought I would ping the community. Maybe this has been addressed
>> before. I have seen this type of functionality with remote desktop
>> client
>> software before (VNC, etc.).
>
> I haven't used it for mythtv but i have used vtun
> (http://vtun.sourceforge.net/) for similar scenarios before where I
> needed to get through firewalls

Note that you'll need to set it up so that the remote frontend can
access the MythTV master backend on all the ports it uses and so that it
can also access the MySQL server directly.  And, of course, you will
need to provide sufficient upstream bandwidth from the master backend
system to allow streaming the recordings (where US ATSC can be up to
~19Mbps and, from my channels, averages ~13.5Mbps) plus sufficient
additional bandwidth to handle communications with, i.e., the
database--not to mention any other network use from other apps/services/...

Oh, and there's absolutely no security provided by MythTV, so be careful
not to invite disaster.

And please make sure that what you're doing is not in violation of laws
or provider terms of service.

That said, I'm expecting the performance will be poor and the experience
much worse than you'd get from a "local" system.

Mike