[mythtv-users] Programming remote button bindings (WAS: What major features are planned for 0.27?)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 3 18:40:59 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 12:11 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>> Again, give me time and I'll fix it properly (assuming I can get time to
>> fix it rather than just arguing that we should fix it properly rather
>> than come up with a short-term hack ...
> I'll second that !
>

> But before I leave the subject, do you know if there is a good reference online where the different functions are described ? Part of the problem I have is figuring out what needs to go where given that there are quite a few scopes, and some of them have a fair number of options which may not be immediately obvious if you aren't familiar with the system ?

There's really nothing, now, other than the short descriptions of each
of the actions you see when you're using the Edit Keys section of
mythfrontend.  I'm planning to make some changes to our key binding
usage to help make it easier--mainly making sure that wherever we have a
distinct action, it gets its own distinct and mappable action for key
binding.  Currently, we have a lot of places where we've re-used some
unrelated action name/binding for what should be a distinct function
(primarily because our key bindings code can't properly be configured to
allow re-use of the mapping while providing a distinct action).

> Also, how do I diagnose another problem ?
> According to ir-whateveritis, Play on my remote creates a KEY_PLAY event, and according to the source, this should get passed threough to Myth (it's<256). But it doesn't appear to be recognised (ie Myth doesn't seem to receive anything) when I have the "Press a button" dialog open.

What does xev show is being sent when you focus the rectangle and press
the button?

Mike