[mythtv-users] expiring expiring programs waaaaaay too soon

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 3 16:43:46 UTC 2012

On 12/03/2012 11:25 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-12-03 09:36 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Yes, expiry is never on a first-in-first-out (or even
>> highest-priority-for-autoexpire-first-expired) basis--it's always
>> highest priority /for the file system in use/.
> Doh!  As much as I was willing to bet against it, that does seem to be
> what's going on here.  I thought my storage pool (which is only 2 disks)
> was much more balanced than that.
>
> But indeed, it seems that I do have recordings on one disk at the top of
> that disk's FIFO which I have not watched yet so things are pretty nasty
> here.
>
>> You are probably using
>> the wrong Storage Group disk scheduler (which should be chosen based on
>> how you use your disk):
> I am using Combination because I really do want some I/O load balancing
> going on.  I can be recording 4 or 5 (SD only) streams at once, all
> being commflagged (well, probably not 5 in parallel -- I do think I have
> a max of 2 or 3 or so) and some watching.
>
> I guess I really need to try to balance the disks a bit more.

Yes.  If your file systems are very unbalanced in their "when it should
expire" recordings, you will need to reshuffle some recordings
manually.  To do so, just move the recordings--no database changes required.

>    Should
> just be a matter of moving half of the top of the expiry list for the
> one disk to the other in exchange for stuff that shouldn't be expired.
> i.e. so that both disks have roughly the same amount of deleted material
> on them.
>
> I wish MBE's --printexpire was more explicit about this situation.  :-(
>   I guess I will have to script up what I just did to get the storage
> group and file attached to each --printexpire line.  Would sure be
> easier if MBE's --printexpire were more consistent with it's output of
> title and subtitle.  Sometimes one is quote, sometimes the other is.
> Sometimes neither is and sometimes both are.  Sometimes opening quotes
> don't even have closing quotes.  ~sigh~
>
> Heh.  I wish MBE did this re-balancing thing itself when it's otherwise
> idle.  :-)

We're making some major changes that will allow us to do this type of
thing and more.  For now, though, it's mainly a "manually manage your
own file deletion or balancing ready-to-expire recordings across file
systems" approach.

Mike