[mythtv-users] Hamrony remote & Knoppmyth profile

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:10:24 UTC 2012

>> Attached the lircd.conf file that I created using irrecord.
>>

> Thanks Jelte. Do you know how to get lirc configured to work with this
> lircd.conf? I'm running MythBuntu and as per my other email, I'm finding
> that even after crreating the lircd.conf file there are still problems
> getting lirc to work with it. I think I must be misconfiguring
> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf but I don't know exactly what the problem is.

Jelte, I have actually got irw responding to the remote configured as a
MCE-1039 which is great. The thing is, it's not using the lircd.conf you
gave me. I know because I've commented out the REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF line in
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf and yet irw still responds.

I have come across posts talking about some remotes sending keyboard
signals and lirc therefore not being required. I'm well out of my depths
and thrashing in the deep and dirty waters of lirc now so amd guessing and
probably talking nonsense. But I have found that there is a key which shows
up as KEY_ENTER in irw on my remote. If I shut down lirc and press this
key, I get a carriage return in a terminal window, so I think the remote is
sending keyboard signals here.

Anyway, for anybody who needs to set up their Harmony 600 remote, I got
mine working by:

- Entering PVR --> Microsoft --> MCE-1039 profile in the Logitech software.
- Using Mythbuntu Control Centre and choosing "Windows Media Center
Transceivers/Remotes (All)" under "Enable a Remote Control".
- As far as I can tell it doesn't matter what's in REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF in
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf. Here's my hardware.conf:

# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
###REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev mceusb"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
###REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="packard_bell/lircd.conf.packard_bell"
###REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
###REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
###REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
###REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.harmony300i"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

So now I just need to set up my lircrc and I should be home and hosed.
Thanks Jelte for your help. I'm not sure your lircd.conf actually did
anything but configuring the Harmony 600 as a MCE-1039 was certainly a
massive help. Thanks very much!