[mythtv-users] MythTV on Win 7 conflicts with ip tunnel software

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 2 17:13:06 UTC 2012

On 12/1/2012 23:54, Orange Pants wrote:
>>> The code searches through all available network interfaces to make
>>> sure those perfectly good IP addresses you provided are actually
>>> available for use. If they did not exist, then client's would be
>>> told to contact the backend at the wrong address, and there would be
>>> no point to running an inaccessible frontend. Your logs do indeed
>>> show your defined addresses are found and used.
>
> Um... i dont' see that in my logs. my ip in configuration was 127.0.0.1.

These lines right here indicate that it detected the addresses you
defined and would be using them.

> 2012-12-01 11:03:52.005177 D [7936] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:209 (SelectDefaultListen) - Adding BackendServerIP6 to address list.
> 2012-12-01 11:03:52.005177 D [7936] CoreContext serverpool.cpp:129 (SelectDefaultListen) - Adding BackendServerIP to address list.

> I hope there is a good reason for mythtv to try to bind to address that
> was not specified in the server configuration as it may create all kinds
> of security hazards i presume.

That is much of the reason for serverpool.cpp's existence, to restrict
MythTV's unprotected server ports from listening on "unsafe" addresses.
Generally the autoconfigured IP addresses never get routed to the
internet, and anything listening on them would only be accessible
through the local network.

>> There is an option in mythtv-setup, where you configured the IP
>> addresses, to select whether or not you want to listen on these
>> additional addresses. Uncheck it.
>
> That address is for VPN which is not active at the time when the server ran.
> What page in configuration setup is this flag on? My version is 0.25.3
> and i don't see it in neither network setup nor in the source code.

The option in mythtv-setup is only available in 0.26 and later. Current
versions of 0.25 will obey the setting, but it is not configurable
through the GUI. Either update to 0.26, or disable it manually in the
database.

INSERT INTO settings (value, data, hostname) VALUES ('AllowLinkLocal',
0, <your hostname>);