[mythtv-users] PVR-150 quality problems

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sun Dec 2 17:02:34 UTC 2012

On 12/02/2012 02:19 AM, Jake Maul wrote:
> Greetings fair list,
>
> I've been trying to track this down for a while now, with no success. My
> PVR-150 is exhibiting a very annoying display issue. This happens on
> live TV and recordings, and is unaffected by transcoding. It's in the
> actual files, so I don't think it's a playback issue... seems more like
> a tuner problem of some sort. Doesn't seem to matter what channel.
> Quality is fine when hooked up directly to the TV.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/JHuBk.png
>
> Any ideas?

The PVR-150/25/350/500 are of an age where many of them may be suffering
from leaking capacitors.  I just replaced 2 bad capacitors on my PVR-350
a couple of months ago, although the image distortion I was getting was
different than what you see in the image you provided.

Google 'leaking capacitors' for a description of what to look for.

Also, check your cables and connections, if you haven't already.

Another idea - have you placed any new components near your backend
server, such as a source of radio interference?  Or maybe near the cable
leading to your PVR-150?