[mythtv-users] MythTV and 3D ?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Aug 31 12:05:49 UTC 2012

On 26 Jan 2012, at 22:45, Mark Kendall wrote:

> On 26 January 2012 22:23, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm hoping that 3d awareness/support is planned for MythFrontend at
>> some point, not just for correct playback, but making sure that things
>> like the OSD are placed properly.
>
> I'm hoping to get some basic auto-detection of side-by-side and
> top-and-bottom into 0.25 - but few streams seem to actually implement
> the fairly new standards.
>
> Other than that, you should probably take a look at:-
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e

I'm wondering what interest there is still for extending MythTV's 3D capabilities?

It seems that Bino is supporting HDMI frame packed output now, this thread looks interesting for Linux 3DTV, someone has created modelines for framepacked video output.
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/bino-list/2011-03/msg00033.html

Are there any plans to support frame packed or even sequential frame output one day?

I'm planning to get a 120Hz 3D capable display for other reasons but would be good to be able to play 3D bluray files or Side By Side transmissions through MythTV. I know SBS is supported in that it will pass through and you can discard one eye to watch in 2D but to work with the selection of recent 3D LCD monitors (Asus VG278H, Acer HN274H and Benq XL2420TX) frame packed output would be required even from SBS content. There's no space in the office for even a small 3DTV, the PS3 TV gets lousy write ups.

I guess that leads into the next VDPAU Advanced 2x thread, "can I do Advanced 2x at 120hz?" or should that be Advanced 4x… ;-)

Andre