[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as remote transcoder

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 30 20:21:50 UTC 2012

On 8/30/2012 12:16, Tyler T wrote:
>> Forget the transcoding and lets just code a full fledged frontend!
>
> Indeed. Though I would expect hardware-assisted transcoding would be
> added to Myth for VDPAU long before it was added for the RPi's
> OpenMAX, simply because VDPAU has a lot more "market". And I haven't
> seen much excitement about even VDPAU-assisted transcoding. (Still,
> once someone writes a simple command-line OpenMAX transcode utility,
> having Myth call it as an external shell job is trivial.)

"VDPAU-assisted" transcode is really going to be a tough nut to crack.
VDPAU is designed for decoding and playback only, not encoding. Gavin
Hurlbut has been working on a hardware accelerated commercial flagger,
using VDPAU for decoding, and OpenCL for video processing. The same
thing would be need to be done for transcoding, re-implementing the
entirety of x264 as an OpenCL kernel. That's quite a lot of effort to go
to for what are honestly only modest gains over the existing heavily
optimized x264 encoder.