[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 30 17:22:37 UTC 2012

On 08/30/2012 11:44 AM, Scott Chevalley wrote:
> I'm using schedulesdirect and recently found that Verizon added BBC America HD
> so I went into my schedulesdirect account, saw the channel was disabled, so I
> enabled it, saved and then went to my 0.25 mythbuntu backend and ran
> mythfilldatabase to fetch the programming data for the new channel.  I did
> finally get it to report success in mythweb backend status page today by running

The success/non-success warning in the backend status page (that you're
accessing via MythWeb) is useless/meaningless...  Generally, it's only
when you have no (or a shrinking amount of data) that there's actually a
problem.

> mythfilldatabase --max-days 14

so this was unnecessary.

> and I have scheduling info on BBCA HD for today, but if I go to Saturday at 9pm
> (when the new season of Doctor Who starts) I see "No DATA".
>
> I've tried running mythfilldatabase with --dd-grab-all

This was the correct thing to do--it says, "Put in all the data that
Schedules Direct has, replacing whatever's currently there."

>   and --do-channel-updates

and that's not something you want to do--it just says, "Feel free to
make dangerous changes to my channels which can prevent them from
working in MythTV."  It's almost always the wrong thing to do.

> but nothing puts more than a day of scheduling for those channels...
>
> Is there something special I need to do to refresh the scheduling for that
> channe?  I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

That probably means you have a problem with your configuration (likely
your Video Source).  It's quite possible that one of the
mythfilldatabase runs (such as the --do-channel-updates) caused it.  For
example, you may have "shadow" channels that prevent you from seeing it.

I'd recommend you clean up your configuration to a blank state--doing
the Video Sources portion of
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 --and
then re-create your Video Sources, re-Connect Inputs, rescan or refetch
channels (as appropriate, depending on your card type--noting that if
you use digital capture with any scannable input, meaning anything but
Firewire or CableCARD, you will need to scan and not use
mythfilldatabase/Fetch channels... to create the channels), then run
mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all.

Mike