[mythtv-users] Suggestions for simplest way to achieve my recording goals.

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:18:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> for

> >> Create a power rule with a single clause that just checks for the
> channel.
> >> Set it to a low priority.
> >

> > I think you might still have a problem with show boundaries.
> >
> > If you create a rule to record every show on channel X, with a low
> priority,
> > the scheduler will use that tuner if needed to record a higher priority
> show
> > on channel Y.  But it will only cut over at show boundaries.
> >
> > For example if at a given time you run into this scenario:
> >
> > Channel X:   |-----show 1 ------||--------show 2-------|
> > Channel Y:   ----------|-------show 3 ------|--------------
> >
> > In this case, neither show 1 or show 2 would be recorded at all.
> >
> > As far as I know, there is no way to tell the scheduler to cut a show off
> > part way through, or start recording after the show has already started.
>  At
> > least not as part of a recording schedule... I know you can do it
> manually.
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> multirec may sort some of that, assuming show 3 is on the same mux
> (which of course is a big assumption)
>
> I suppose one could set up 144 different manual recording rules each at 10
minute intervals?  Or 288 at 5 minute intervals.

If you try this, I would also setup a 'normal' recording rule with a
slightly higher (still low) priority that would get the full episodes when
the scheduler is able.  Then the 10 minute blocks would only kick in if the
scheduler could not work out the complete episode.

Obviously having a partial record option is a better solution.  If someone
decides to look into that, I think there needs to be a "grace period"
setting so that the user can specify not to record a partial that would
miss more than xx minutes of the full show.  This can get real complex real
quick as I start chasing out all the possible diverging threads here.
 Entry in the recording table for partial recording.  Auto expire partial
recordings first. Automatically re-record partial recordings.