[mythtv-users] FW: Looking for sample video grabber scripts

ajp at cantabrian.co.nz ajp at cantabrian.co.nz
Thu Aug 30 04:19:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

I know the intention of grabbers is to query some remote web based system to
get metadata, but I feel I am running out of options.

What I want to achieve is not currently in MythTV and not likely to be in it
any time soon. This means I either create a patch and build it myself or I
try some more "creative" approach. I don't have the time to create a custom
build so I am left with the "creative" approach.

When I see discussions like this in forums it usually takes the form of a
user wanting to do something specific and the respondent wanting to fully
understand the problem because the respondent thinks it highly likely the
product already does what the user wants - it's just that the user doesn't
understand the product enough :-)

Thus the more detailed explanation................

1.	I export an recorded movie from Myth
2.	I open it up in StreamClip and edit out commercials etc.
3.	I save as a .ts file. The TS file name now includes series name,
episode title, season, episode etc.
4.	I also save a .jpg screenshot that I gather during the editing
process
5.	I run a custom script against a bunch of these edited movies.
6.	The result of the custom script is:
	a.	A *.mp4 file with all metadata correct incl. artwork
	b.	A *.xml file suitable to be imported into Myth
	c.	A *.png file suitable to be imported into Myth

So at the end of this process I have a file I can use in iTunes/iPhone/iPad.
This file is complete and all metadata including artwork encapsulated in the
one file. I also have an output that can be imported into Myth.

So.....

What I want to do is have this "custom script process"  produce artefacts
that can be placed in a Myth Videos directory structure and have "Videos"
populated with all the metadata and artwork.

Currently to do this I would have to create a potentially very long and
messy filename that would work for Myth but look very unwieldy if I use it
for anything else - iTunes won't be bothered what filename is used as it
extracts all details from the embedded metadata.  Also this process would
not use the artwork/screenshot I created.

I need a solution that doesn't require building Myth. All I can find is to
manipulate a video metadata grabber script so it looks at the file system
and returns the metadata from an examination of the file system rather than
a remote web server. I admit it's a bit contrived but will give me a
solution that fits my requirements and works within the Myth ecosystem.

Does that help

Cheers

On 8/29/2012 17:34, ajp at cantabrian.co.nz wrote:
> So what I am looking at is how to have an automated mechanism so that
> when I put in my correctly setup MP4 files they end up populating
> MythTV Videos correctly. I am hoping I can achieve this with a Metadata
grabber.

I think you are misunderstanding this whole process. The metadata grabber
knows nothing about any files, and has no access to the database. It is
given a query, as parsed out of the filename by the Video Library, and is to
return any information it can about the queried title. It is not intended to
have access to the file in order to pull metadata out of the container.

-----
No virus found in this message.