[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 03:36:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> On 28/08/2012 4:44 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, if you pick a system that runs off 12V (as some of the
>> ION boards do, then in principal you should be able to just hook this up to
>> a 12V lead acid battery and use a 13.8V supply/battery charger instead of
>> going with a full UPS. Also, for things like the mini ITX boards, there are
>> PSUs designed for in-car use that run from a battery and will auto-shutdown
>> on low battery etc.
>
> Not exactly an energy efficient way of doing it, unless your battery charger
> is smart enough to stop charging when battery is fully charged, or not
> charged at all when battery is charged and directly power the PC.  Could be
> super efficient if you used a solar charger to keep battery charged, and
> charge generated was enough to power the machine during non daylight hours.

Even so, I've been looking at the numbers, and I'm not sure going
solar powered in this way would *EVER* pay off, even if your system is
100% off-the-grid with an electricity bill of zero...

Perhaps someone else can double check, but it seems like with a
low-power device (~25 watts), electricity at $0.13 to $0.15 per kWh,
and deep cycle batteries at ~$200 with a life expectancy of 4-8 years
(depending on the depth of cycle), when compared to simply plugging
into the wall, you wouldn't even save enough $$ to pay off the battery
before it needed to be replaced again.   And that doesn't include the
startup costs (chargers, solar panels, regulators, etc) - it is purely
just the annual "maintenance" costs.

Is that right?   Perhaps a better option is a much smaller and cheaper
battery, as a short-period UPS only (not deep cycled every night), and
using the solar power from a smaller panel purely to offset part of
the daytime power usage?

- rsh1k