[mythtv-users] GPU accelerated transcoding/HLS

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 29 19:16:09 UTC 2012

I just picked up an NVIDIA GT440 cheap on ebay for my familyroom frontend
only machine build I'm doing... however if the fan is too loud I may drop
it in my backend (which I watch TV on occasionally) and pick up a fanless
GT520/610, or GT430.

Anyway, that got me thinking, if I had a powerful GPU in my backend, could
mythtv use it for something other than just occasional playback.

I know that there is software that will use CUDA to encode (mediacoder for
example), and I'm sure with some work I could use them in a transcode
script... but it would require Wine and might be a bit kludgy.

Since NVidia cards are so common in the mythtv community, has any work been
done to GPU accelerate the transcode/HLS functionality, or any other
functionality that might commonly be found on what is primarily a backend
server.

I guess I'm just asking if there is anything I can do to make use of all of
this extra processing power.  Ideas?