[mythtv-users] deinterlacing 1080i content on 720 display

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:15:16 UTC 2012

On 29 August 2012 19:46, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/08/12 18:18, William Powers wrote:
>
>> On Aug 29, 2012, at 1:56 AM, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Can any users out there with 720 sets recommend if it's worth it to get
>>> the GT 430, 440, or even the 640 to get advanced 2x deinterlacing?  Or will
>>> something like 2x temporal be enough with a 720 display? There's
>>> something to be said for the lower power consumption of the GT 520.
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> I guess I should have mentioned that when I used to have a 720p TV, I
>> found the One Field deinterlacer to be perfectly adequate.
>>
> I agree... as the description says... simply removes one line to get to
> 720,  good for sport .  I have had my frontend configured like this  for
> over a year -  works well with an integrated igpu on intel i3/i5.

I've tried running my setup using the native resolution of the recording
for the TV - which in my case, produced the best looking picture (With
perfect deinterlacing and good "movements").
Though, as the TV would then lower the resolution for SD channels (which I
mainly watch), the OSD looked horrible.

So, in the end - using VDPAU was the best solution for me after all.
The picture is not quite as good as running the native resolution - but it
enabled you to zoom/scretch the picture if needed, and the OSD looks
crystal clear (As the TV is running in 1080p)