[mythtv-users] Netbook as low-power combined back-end / front-end?

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:25:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 August 2012 17:42, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>>
>> My MBE is a QNAP TS219P NAS box.  It's basically a sheevaplug with 3 USB
>> ports, 2 SATA bays and 2 eSATA ports.  I need one computer on all the time
>> to run my mail server, print server, file servers, and several other
>> functions.
>> I like it to draw as little power as possible.
>

> Can you tell me more - I have considered doing this.  What do you record
> (DVB?) Many tunners?

Hmm, running a back-end on a NAS is something I hadn't considered...

In addition to Greg's questions:
* Do you do any commercial flagging or transcoding?
* Do you happen to know how much power your system uses?

The QNAP product page lists the power consumption as 5W in sleep mode
and 21W in operation, but that is with 2x 500GB hard drives installed,
and no mention of the brand/model of the drives.

Also, I found this QNAP MythTV step-by-step install guide which looks
to be extremely thorough and well-written:

           http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/How_to_install_MythTV

Is that what you used?   Or perhaps you wrote it?  (If so, nice work!)

- rsh1k