[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 21:50:00 UTC 2012

> > Indeed, it is more expensive than DDR3 if you need it right now... but if
> > your willing to be patient, deals can be had... as illustrated in the
> links
> > I posted.  Watch ebay/craigslist/etc. for a few days and you can probably
> > get 4GB of DDR2 for around$20.
>
> But time is money, too.  It's a lot easier to just buy some ram from
> New Egg than to spend days trolling ebay/craigslist.  This stuff is
> too cheap for that to be worthwhile.

Ok, even so  $50 for a RAM upgrade is a lot cheaper than a new Mobo, CPU,
and RAM.

I realize that buying budget components and performing incremental upgrades
isn't for everyone.  But mythtv runs great on older hardware, so it's
really hard to justify dedicating a $200+ processor to it when you can get
a perfectly capable processor, motherboard, and RAM for less than that;
especially if, like me, you have a wife who questions every penny spent...
even if I end up spending another $150 down the road replacing everything
and re-purpose the old hardware, I still won't be annoying my wife with a
large $300+ purchase.