[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 19:48:25 UTC 2012

> > I can pick up an upgraded
> > processor for 20 bucks, and DDR2 RAM is not too expensive on ebay.
>
> It's still a bit pricey compared to DDR3.  I have a DDR2 system I'd
> like to take from 4GB to 8GB and it almost makes more financial sense
> to just replace the motherboard with a DDR3 board and buy 8GB of DDR3
> rather than 4GB of DDR2.

Indeed, it is more expensive than DDR3 if you need it right now... but if
your willing to be patient, deals can be had... as illustrated in the links
I posted.  Watch ebay/craigslist/etc. for a few days and you can probably
get 4GB of DDR2 for around$20.  Still more expensive than it should be, but
not bad.

With RAM, timing is everything... if you hadn't waited so long you could
have got it cheap in retail... now you need to pick it up used to get it
cheap, and people know they have you by the balls.

I believe that DDR3 will be cheap for a while yet... they are still
releasing faster and faster speeds, and until they start shipping
processors with DDR4 controllers prices will continue to be great.