[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Aug 27 17:23:44 UTC 2012

On 27/08/12 17:54, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 17:35 +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> My suggestion
>> is, if you buy that motherboard, fill it with the biggest, baddest CPU
>> you can
>> afford and all the RAM you can get NOW. That way you'll still be able
>> to perform
>> the OS upgrades in the future when you need them.
> For an HTPC in particular there are other considerations: noise and
> power, both of which imply a concern with heat.

You think that an HTPC will /ever/ need an i7 and 32Gb RAM? [*]

If things ever got that bad my HTPC setup would be the least of my problems.

My big servers are in a cupboard where the heat and noise can be dealt with
easily. My diskless netbooted HTPC draws < 35W. My workstations are LTSP thin
clients and draw < 10W.

[*] Yeah, I know, famous last words!
--

Mike Perkins