[mythtv-users] Newbie Question..?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Aug 27 07:58:02 UTC 2012

Joseph Fry wrote:

>Personally, having been on these party buses in the past an seen
>what goes on, I'm sure it would make for entertaining watching
>afterward, but I am not so sure that adding cameras is such a good
>idea. I know I would not be a happy customer if I discovered that I
>was being recorded.

Well as long as you were informed beforehand so you had the option of
not being on camera by not hiring. I suspect that the reason for the
cameras is because of "what goes on" and I imagine frequent problems
needing repairs or cleaning - and of course the customer claiming it
wasn't them.

As to the original question, it's not far off something I've had in
mind - front/rear facing cameras for 'self defence'. Whether that's
"I hit shunted the guy in front because he [ cut in and braked* |
pulled out right in front of me* ] so it's entirely his fault" or "no
I wasn't breaking the law as your speed limit wasn't signed".
* Seems to be a common problem when you drive a land Rover which most
people perceive as "can't be going anything but slow" !

I suspect USB digital cameras would be a better way to go these days
rather than analogue and A/D conversion which will always lose you
resolution and quality**.
I had in mind a small "car PC" to collect the video, data stamp it
with GPS time/position/speed info, and store it locally. Not sure
where to start with this !
Then once parked up, if my WiFi is in range, sync the videos to a
home server before shutting down/going to sleep, or possibly (if the
power budget allows) collecting a frame every 10 seconds or so in the
hope of catching any scumbag that tries to break in.

** Most "analogue" cameras are actually a digital sensor with D/A
conversion to get a video signal.
--
Simon Hobson