[mythtv-users] ATSC Unwatchable

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Aug 27 04:30:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Keith Wait <kwait at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> In troubleshooting, I was able to (from the command line) run scan and
> create a channels.conf, again with a number of the channels that my
> television on its own is able to receive.  When I run azap, it
> definitely reports a status of FE_HAS_LOCK, gives a BER of 0 and gives
> signal strengths in the E0-FF range (I assume this card reports 8-bit
> signal strengths).

You should double check this.  The SNR field shown in azap is in 0.1
dB increments, so 0xff is 25.5 dB (which is a marginal signal).  In
other words, you'll get lots of errors.  Try a better antenna, or
temporarily move the computer to a location where it can get better
signal conditions.

At this juncture all data points to "crappy signal conditions" rather
than anything wrong with the device or the software stack.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com