[mythtv-users] hardware advice: ivy bridge vs nvidia

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 27 03:47:07 UTC 2012

> It sounds as if Sandy Bridge remains problematic for video, and so I was
> thinking of getting a system with
> i3-2120 http://www.provantage.com/YITEP3CR.htm and
> GT440 based fanless
> http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGT440_DC_SLDI1GD3/#
>
> For just a bit more I could get Ivy Bridge
> i5-2400S http://www.provantage.com/~7ITEP3F0.htm
>
> Ivy Bridge supposedly is better, but not perfect, on the tearing.
> But I haven't seen a lot of success reports with any Intel graphics.
>
> Is it reasonable to expect the Ivy bridge to work, or would the i3/GT440
> combo be better?  Something else?
>
> This is primarily for a FE, but since I also want to run
> Windows on it I figured I needed a CPU with more oomph than the bare
> minimum.  Also, I may want to offload some BE processing onto it.

Sandy/Ivy Bridge won't come into play at all if your using an Nvidia GPU
with VDPAU, you can use just about any CPU.  The only way the processor may
make a difference is if you were using VAAPI with the Sandy/Ivy bridge
processor's built in graphics processor.  VAAPI is supported, however it is
not as refined a solution as VDPAU.

Go with the cheaper processor and at least an GT430 for the optimal support
(make sure you have 96+ cuda cores on the nvidia GPU; so no 420/520/610
even though the model numbers are higher)

My recommended build is a good Ivy Bridge capable motherboard, cheap $45
Celeron G540 CPU, and 4-8GB of RAM.  Coupled with a Nvidia GPU and VDPAU
you will have excellent performance today and an easy path for upgrades
when CPU/RAM prices drop.