[mythtv-users] Problem with new HD-PVR and 1080i

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Sun Aug 26 18:21:55 UTC 2012

On 08/26/2012 10:18 AM, Keith Pyle wrote:

> This likely rules out HD-PVR power or temperature issues, and cable
> problems.
>
> The remaining possibilities for failing to capture on Linux would seem
> to be:
>
> 1. the USB port on the mythbackend system - the port used thus far is
> USB 2.0 on an unused bus (not shared with other USB devices)
> 2. the Linux USB subsystem - not very likely, IMO
> 3. the hdpvr driver in Linux 3.4.7
>
> Other than trying a different USB port, I don't see many options for
> success.  I may have a gently used HD-PVR for sale if this fails.

Hi Keith,

It is unfortunate that you are having so many issues.  Many of us are
using the HDPVR successfully.  I have no issues recording 720p and 1080i
content with 0.24 and now with 0.25 as well.  I am still using the 0x15
firmware on a 3.5.2 kernel, but had solid success for the last 2 years
on a 2.4 kernel as well.

Before you give up, it might be worth spending $15 and buy a different
USB addon card for your computer.  In the mailing lists, I have seen
various issues with people who were sharing a bus with other USB devices
( you already ruled this out ) and it I recall it just wouldn't work for
some people.  I have to wonder if it just doesn't work well with some
USB controllers.

Michael