[mythtv-users] What's missing from the RpI now?

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Aug 26 10:56:13 UTC 2012

On 25.08.2012 20:11, Tyler T wrote:
>> Still need someone to write support for that decode API in MythTV. Still
>> need someone to clean up memory usage so the frontend is happy running on a
>> system with well under 200MB available.
>
> Might just be time to fork a lightweight FE. People with 4GB, 3GHz FEs
> are unlikely to be happy with software optimized for 200Mb, 700Mhz.
> But with a purchase price of $35 + $2.40, the RPi might be the hottest
> media player since... well, ever. No other hardware comes close to
> that price.

You mean something like mvpmc? The USPs of the Raspberry PI are only
its super low price and documentation of the video acceleration API.
See http://www.elinux.org/RPi_VideoCore_APIs#OpenMAX

I'd start from there as its known working and add support for the video
acceleration.

Similar boxes go from ~80$ up, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FMUPKU,
see also http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?cat=81
Or the Popcorn Hour series from ~200$, see
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=106

But due to limitations in the API openness everyone had a hard time to
get anywhere.
See http://www.networkedmediatank.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=106 for a
port of mvpmc on Sigma Designs chips started in 2006.
I'm not aware of the chip manufacturers opening up in the last 6 years.
(The same goes for chips by IBM, etc.)

Regards,
Karl