[mythtv-users] Cheap USB IR receivers on ebay

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:43:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Jason Bright <jaybright at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Thomas Boehm
> <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
> > Jason Bright wrote:
> >> (so I can turn the tv on-off and run all of myth with the
> >> single remote).  I'm having a hell of time replacing it.
> >
> > For that I'm using a master/slave extension lead. This way my speaker
> > system gets switched off too with a single button. Or get yourself a
> > Logitech Harmony.
>
> I know they're popular around here, but I find the Harmony remotes
> quite terrible.

I am also not a Harmony fan, but to most it is the only option for a real
all-in-one.  I use JP1 for a cheap alternative to Harmony.  It takes a
little work to get it programmed and find all the appropriate codes, but
that is the fun of it and I love it.  I use URC-8820N and URC-10820N
remotes with XBox Remote IR receivers.  I got the remotes for under $4 each
at Sears Outlet and the receivers for under $3 each on eBay.  You need to
convert the receiver connector to USB or you can get adapter cables off
eBay.

-Tom