[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Fri Aug 24 12:32:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 02:25 AM, blind Pete wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Jim Morton wrote:
> >

> > [snip]
> >
> > > I don't know of any advantages to watching live tv.
> >

> > It is easier to explain to old people.
> >

> Doesn't that translate to, "Old people just don't get how to properly
> use a DVR because they're stuck in their ways"?

When today's geriatrics were small there were no televisions.  For many
decades there was one tuner and one screen in one box with no recording
capabilities.  For some people "TV schedule" is a bit hard, "TV guide"
would be easier.  Dealing with media entertainment systems is complex.

I recently decided against a MythTV installation and went for a
less powerful but more obvious solution.  I recommend MythTV to geeks,
but it is not suitable for anyone who does not have a geek on call.

You are quite right - in the sense that unfit people don't get
the idea that they should work out at the gym.

> I just don't get why /anyone/ would believe that watching some partial
> airing of a show that they just stumbled upon by accident would be
> better than being able to see the entire show.

That wasn't the question.

> Perhaps if it /is/ so
> much better, someone should tell Apple to quit making entire shows
> available through iTunes or Amazon through Amazon Instant or Netflix
> through Netflix streaming.  Imagine how many "old" people they could
> sign up if they instead just showed part of the show the user
> wants--maybe putting a bunch of commercials in there, too, so the
> viewers know when to go to the bathroom or get a snack...
>
> Mike ("Older than his despising Live TV would imply") Dean

Have you ever visited a nursing home?

blind Pete
Sig goes here...