[mythtv-users] GT520/610 - whats the final word

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:32:25 UTC 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I have seen a couple of discussions about them being too slow for Advanced 2x deinterlacing of 1080i content, even the the VDPAU page in the wiki ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU ) says it won't work... well it says "SD only, maybe HD at PAL frame-rates"... yet at the bottom of the page are two user reports showing that it works fine with 1080i content, are we to assume they are using PAL content (I'm NTSC)?

> If you KNOW for certain that it will or will not work, please respond.

I know for certain that MY Asus ENGT520 Silent will NOT support glitch-free playback with the Advanced,2X VDPAU deinterlacer. And  neither will my fanless Zotac GT 430. This is with ATSC (NTSC, MPEG2) content as well as HDPVR (h.264) content. The 430 glitches were much less frequent, on the order of one per hour. The 520 glitches were several per minute. The only cards I have tried that had completely glitch-free Advanced,2X playback was a 220, a 9500 and a 9600. Unfortunately, the 220 would overheat after about an hour and start having blackouts.

I could get the 520 (and 430) to behave much better by setting standard decoding (or was it rendering? It was the one to the left) along with the VDPAUSKIPCHROMA filter (only.)

I am still using my 520 in my primary frontend. After extensive (many hours) of testing, I could not see a difference between Advanced,2X and Temporal,2X deinterlacing and Temporal,2X playback is flawless.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.