[mythtv-users] black screen during playback

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 01:40:15 UTC 2012

I recently upgraded a combined backend/frontend and two frontends from
0.24 to 0.25.2. Several months ago, while I was on 0.24, one of my
frontends suddenly stopped displaying video when using a VDPAU
profile, instead giving me just audio with a black screen. It worked
fine once I switched to a CPU-only profile. I mentioned it in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/514994, but I never
resolved the problem, so I just stuck with the CPU-only profile.

I hoped the problem would resolve itself in 0.25.2, but it's actually
worse. Now I get audio but no video even on the CPU-only profile. I
tried VDPAU Normal, one of the OpenGL profiles, and Slim. All produce
audio and a black screen. One difference is that the OSD is displayed
when using VDPAU Normal but not when using Slim (I don't remember what
happened with OpenGL.) The video plays fine in VLC.

I've tried the following with no changes:
  - swapped in a different video card
  - connected via VGA instead of HDMI
  - copied the file to the local drive, added it to the video gallery,
    and played it from there

I captured logs with -v playback while using the VDPAU Normal profile
and the Slim profile. I would be very grateful if someone could review
these to see if anything looks amiss. I'm happy to provide other
information or logs if needed.

  VDPAU Normal: http://pastebin.com/KvZE1bZY
  Slim: http://pastebin.com/r7hzd5G3

I also captured the log on my working frontend running the VDPAU
Normal profile and compared it to the one above. The only difference
that seemed like it might be significant is the lack of "Video is
d.ddddd frames behind audio" messages on the working machine, so I'm
not optimistic that these logs I've posted will reveal the problem.

This is on Mythbuntu 11.04 with an NVidia 210 card.