[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 23 00:40:31 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 07:20 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>> I just don't get why /anyone/ would believe that watching some partial
>> airing of a show that they just stumbled upon by accident would be
>> better than being able to see the entire show.
> It's not, but it can be better than not seeing the show at all, when it's one of a type that you had absolutely no idea you might like - the sort of thing you'd never record because you were so sure you wouldn't like it. I would never enjoy any type of reality show... at least that's what I thought until I once stumbled across one that I found incredibly compelling, and then set up recordings for the rest of the series.

I still have every single episode of Hellcats on my system.  I'm sure
there's no way in cats I'll ever watch the show, but I still recorded
it.  It's there just in case--after all, empty space on my system is
wasted space.

As a matter of fact, I set up rules to record every single episode of
every single new series that comes on each year, just in case it turns
out one might be worth watching.  Then, when the network cancels a show
or when people say it's not worth watching, I typically delete the
series without watching.

I cringed when I set up a recording rule for Desperate
Housewives--there's no way I'd ever watch that show.  But, a lot of
people were talking about the show and how great it was, so after they
renewed it for a 2nd season, I decided to watch the premiere and "if
it's not worth watching, I'll delete the series without watching the
rest."  I literally laughed out loud while watching the premiere.
There's no way I'd have watched this series--even if I caught some part
of it while channel surfing--if I hadn't recorded the whole first season
and heard all the talk about it.

Typically I don't even start watching a new show until its first season
has finished.  Sometimes, I won't get to it until after a couple of
seasons--for example, The Middle and Modern Family were two shows that I
didn't think I would like, and didn't even start watching until after
their 2nd seasons completed.

See, also, my earlier message in the thread for how MythTV makes it easy
to find new shows to watch, even if you don't know what you're looking for.

Mike