[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 22 21:28:32 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 05:02 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 08/22/2012 04:40 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh - now I remember why we don't "just record everything" - Mike,
>>> take a single tuner and setup two shows to record back-to-back,
>>> then, on another channel, record another show at the same
>>> time....see what Myth does (using 0.26 or any 0.25)
>>>
>>> Your (and other's) method would only work once that is fixed.
>>
>> I'll need a better hint at what you're saying doesn't work.
>> Recording everything I might possibly want to watch works for
>> me--which is why I have nearly 3 months of recorded TV (more than I
>> will ever watch).
>>
>> And, FWIW, my "method" is, if you care enough to watch a show, tell
>> MythTV you care to watch the show and it will take care of recording
>> it for you.
>
> Sure - no problem - I forgot to mention that these channels are on the
> same multiplex.
>
> I can grab you some logs if you prefer, but mine might be more complex
> as I have dual tuners.
>
> In a nutshell, a menu pop up asking what you want to do, then bails to
> the main menu - I have lost many-a-live recording this way. This
> wasn't the case in 0.24, Myth would "just do it's job and record the
> show".
>
> The tuner selection has also gotten itself confused, which basically
> means, if you watching liveTV and wanting the record a show on another
> channel (same multiplex) the same menu pops up.
>
> I will log a bug once I have the time.

No, see, this is another bug (one of many) in Live TV.  If you don't use
Live TV, you never see the Live TV bugs...  So, if you record shows
instead of using Live TV to try to sneak in a recording without ever
telling MythTV, "Hey, by the way, I actually /do/ care to watch this
show," you will get those shows.

My method says don't use Live TV--I'm not saying, "Hit R while in Live TV."

Mike