[mythtv-users] Linux/Android AirPlay client

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 19:14:30 UTC 2012

On 21/08/12 18:16, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 21 August 2012 16:45, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 'MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk' type '_airplay._tcp.' domain: 'local.'
> AirPlay relies on mDNS to be configure properly.
> pc1.abc.co.uk is unlikely a valid hostname, so pc1.abc.co.uk wouldn't
> be resolved properly.
>
> properly set your hostname on your machine, and make sure you run a
> recent version of myth (there was some issues when using a dual
> frontend/backend and IPv6)
Thanks for the input Jean-Yves.  I did slightly change the domain names
my previous post to protect my identify.  People scrap too much
information in public forums - I just added dud ones.   It actually
wasn't that.

But... But your post got me thinking.  I run a few frontends, and use
each pc's full domain name as the custom identifier.   I do this as it
enables some custom python scripts to run on backends and slaves...
(that's detail).

But what I have just tried is to changing the custom identifier (In
general setup) to one without periods i.e. fred ... rather than
fred.mercury.co.uk  ... and AirPlay works!! I can stream videos. It
seemed that using a full domain name (or a label with more than one set
of periods) causing issues for the client apps.  Using a downloadable
bonjour browser I could see the local. address for myth and airplay no
matter what label I used... So I am not sure where it was not working.

So somewhere using periods in the custom identifier is causing the
AirPlay device not to appear.  So if anyone else has problems have a
look at the label.

But now it works... I am blown away... this is truly great
functionality.... not upnp but I can use twonky mobile, and the other
apps mentioned (I prefer twonky as I run this as a server also).

Time to play...  Hats off to the developer(s) who implemented this. This
is smart.