[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Adrian Saul sgtbundy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:04:23 UTC 2012

> Adrian,
> I understand You are using file sharing option for FE access to
> recordings/LiveTV.
> I think You can try myth stream protocol instead of NFS.
> You can do this simply by not sharing /myth/tv (mythtv will discover
> and auto switch to use myth protocol).
> I'm using setup based on myth protocol for 3 diskless FEs (ION) + MAC
> FE with great success (any combination play recordings, LiveTV, etc)
> No any lags with playback starting. Also LiveTV has as-should-be
> stability for me.

My /myth/tv storage on the backend is from NFS on my solaris server.
Streaming from the backend is counter-productive in my case because it
requires the backend to first read it over NFS, then stream it to the
other frontend.  I would expect having the same files available via NFS
should mean the frontend can open it itself and read direct from the NFS
server cutting out the middleman.  Also I would prefer to avoid unneeded
load on the backend where possible, just to give it less to get upset over.

Yes it has been painful to get the NFS setup right, but I think I have
it in a good place now.