[mythtv-users] v4l media_build won't compile in Mythbuntu 12.04

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Sat Aug 18 21:35:38 UTC 2012

Hi

I desperately try to install the latest v4l drivers under Mythhbuntu
12.04. I need to apply a patch to them. Therefore I don't use the build
script.

# git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
# cd media_build
# make download untar

Already the patch I'm trying to apply has a problem, since the latest
media_build obviously has changed its directory structure. The path to
dvbdev.c is no longer /drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c but
/drivers/media/dvb-core/dvbdev.c. After deleting every occurrence of the
now superficial /dvb/ in the patch-file, the patch applies.

# make -j5

sometimes runs smoothly after installing libv4l-dev (which was not necessary with
earlier versions of media_build), sometimes "make" fails because patches
could not be applied. I don't know why. If "make" succeeds, then:

# make install

works too. Then:

After rebooting my DVB-C cards (Terratec Sinergy, PCI) are no longer
recognized. This is probably because budget-core and budget-av are no
longer working.

lsmod | grep dvb

returns dvb-core but budget-core and budget-av needed for my cards are
not loaded.

modprobe budget-core

gives:

FATAL: Error inserting budget_core
(/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ttpci/budget-core.ko):
Invalid argument

Same for budget-av. It seems that there is an incompatibility between
Mythbuntu 12.04 and the latest media_build.

This is so since roughly two months. I could help myself by booting into
older kernels. But now I have a new machine and have to install from
scratch.

What can I do? Help really appreciated.

Sven