[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 18 05:43:16 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 11:36 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Michael Watson wrote:

>>> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings.  You can't specify
>>> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
>>> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
>>> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
>>> ...).  You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>>> You /only/ get recording groups.  You only get one recording group per
>>> recording.  You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
>>> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
>>> to scroll through when your collection gets large.  If you use recording
>>> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
>>> have a ton to scroll through.  It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
>>> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
>>> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
>>> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>>>
>>> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video.  If you
>>> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
>>> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> This approach works well, if you want to keep the material, I dont, but
>> would like a better way to display the recorded shows.
>> It would be good to be able to setup a "Category", and then select which
>> shows would be grouped into that category, rather than rely on the guide
>> data.
>>
>> I record a lot of kids shows, and use rules like "keep at most 5, and delete
>> oldest".  Its useless grouping by category, as many kids shows are in
>> animation, or animated, or childrens, and several other categories (This is
>> the fault of poor guide data, not Myth's fault)
> If you're talking about keeping them in the Recordings, you can create
> a recording group for those shows, then set up those recording rules
> to put the shows into that group. I don't know if there's an
> equivalent function in the Videos, but you could stick them all in the
> same folder which would probably accomplish the same thing.

Yeah, what's called category in TV (the category, as provided by the
listings) maps to what's called genre in Video Library
(metadata-source-defined genre).  What's called recording groups
(user-defined groups) in TV maps to what's called category in Video
Library (user-defined categories).

So, the folder/location of the videos in Video Library essentially
becomes a "secondary" user-defined grouping, which also allows further
classification through hierarchical organization.

Mike