[mythtv-users] Bad Video or corrupt MythTV? (Slightly OT but of Interest to MythTV Users)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Aug 17 19:29:52 UTC 2012

The system I built in 2005 finally had flaked out so it would no longer boot all the way to Myth.
Symptoms were bootable in Text mode, but as soon as the graphics mode would kick on, the system would completely freeze up.
I have an iMon VFD running, so the heartbeat would stop. IIRC, the card was make by eVGA.

I pulled out the nVidia 5200FX (AGP based) for inspection to find all (4) 1000uF 6.3V caps to be "bulging" possibly apropos of the decade old "bad capacitor formula". No bursting or leaking -- just obviously deformed out the top.

I replaced them with (4) new 1000uF (25V was all I had on hand) and the card works again.

I'm mentioning it here as I know these systems can get set up and then run like appliances forever -- far longer than the video standard on the motherboard might exist in wide use.

Just thought I would share.

Cheers,

  -Ben