[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

mikkel at broerne.dk mikkel at broerne.dk
Fri Aug 17 14:29:44 UTC 2012

AM, mikkel wrote:

>> The length of our Recordings list has surpassed
are ability to filter out what is "worth watching". My thought was
therefore to move all recorded movies to Videos. This would also provide
more info to review the unwatched movies.

> This is exactly what I'm
trying to convince people of--that Video
> Library (MythVideo in 0.24)
is a /much/ better location for keeping a
> large collection of videos,
and it makes sense to move any recordings
> you plan to archive (movies
or TV) to Video Library for long-term
> storage. (And, more
importantly, that it makes absolutely no sense to
> try to "import"
video of any kind--even recorded from a previous setup
> of
MythTV--into Watch Recordings when a) it's so much easier to put into

Video Library, b) Video Library was designed to handle any user-managed

> video content, c) Video Library has excellent metadata for both
movies
> and TV, d) Video Library allows you to name the recording
using a name
> that will tell what's in the video if you ever lose your
MythTV
> database, e) Video Library allows hierarchical views allowing

> user-defined organization, and f) Video Library makes it easy to
filter
> on any of a number of pieces of metadata (rather than only on
recording
> group).
>
> In other words, I'm glad you chose this
approach, and I'm glad that
> you're helping others to see why it's so
much better than keeping large
> collections of video in Watch
Recordings.

>> I have therefore attempted to use mythvidexport.py
Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that work just fine. All
I did was: 1) Placed the file in /usr/bin providing needed permissions
2) Created a job /usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID% The only thing that
happens is the job is added to the job queue… and then the job just sits
there. Am I missing something?

> Jobs must be enabled on one or more
backends to actually allow
> execution. By default all user jobs are
disabled. You'll need to go into
> mythtv-setup on one or more backend
systems and change, "Allow User Job
> #1 jobs" to enabled. The backends
on which you enable the job will need
> to be restarted for it to begin
processing the jobs, but there's no need
> to re-queue the jobs.

Mike

Arg! Yes, that
could be it (need to enable the job).

I set it up in mythweb and only
justed checked if everything look right in the BE and may have forgotten
to check the enable.

So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?

cheers

Mik