[mythtv-users] Disk space for frontend-only machine

phipps-hutton at sky.com phipps-hutton at sky.com
Fri Aug 17 09:35:45 UTC 2012

Quoting Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>:

> On 17/08/2012 4:09 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>> You don't happen to have a record of how you set up the iscsi?
>>> The iscsi backend is easy enough, but I think I need to get PXE to
>>> boot gPXE which works with iscsi.
>>> I'm currently netbooting the cd image (pxe + nfs) but its
>>> read-only and a real pain having to reset the timezone and volume
>>> every time (FE is a laptop) - it lowers the WAF considerably.
>> I've never tried setting up a network boot. Isn't it slow to boot? If
>> you have to transfer a few GBs of data for the MythTV frontend image
>> doesn't that take a long time (even over a gigabit network it's going
>> to take some time to transfer all that data)?
>>
> Havent ever timed it, but its boot speed seems faster than it was
> when booting the 500GB SATA drive that use to be in the system.

It probably depends on the BIOS, my experience was a while ago with a
VIA motherboard, The slow part was fetching Linux and the initrd from
the tftp server. It was only a few megabytes boot took over a minute.
Once the initrd has started it initialized the network and didi the
rest via NFS and that was as fast as anything. I switched to just
having /boot on a USB stick. That was faster but still had the BIOS
fetching Linux/initrd sector by sector. Now I've got a SATA SSD and it
boots in seconds.

Newer motherboards may be able to netboot faster but I've never found
any data. No-one seems to benchmark BIOS speed.

Cheers,
Tim.