[mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Thu Aug 16 17:51:48 UTC 2012

Am 16.08.2012 19:31, schrieb Raymond Wagner:

> You couldn't have possibly chosen 172.32.99.x for your IP addresses.
> That address range is internet routeable, which means the only way you
> would get it is if you were assigned it by your service provider, or
> otherwise purchased it from a numbers authority. If you configured that
> address space as your internal private network, you have a broken
> network configuration. The range you were likely trying to hit is the
> range...
>
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
>
> If you fix your network to fall within that range, and leave the IP
> settings blank on your dedicated frontend, it will automatically listen
> on the proper address, and everything should "just work".
>
> If on the other hand you are actually running your MythTV system on the
> internet, are not behind a NAT, and you were in fact assigned a number
> of addresses in the 172.32.99.x range, you will need to manually force
> mythfrontend to listen on the correct address through those IP settings
> in mythtv-setup. By default, running MythTV open to the internet is a
> dangerous configuration, so MythTV will not do so unless explicitly told
> to do so by the user.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

I am behind NAT, yes ... it was simply my fault back then to chose this
weird network, I just didn't look up things correctly ...

Editing my DHCP-server wouldn't be much effort, sure, but I run various
IPSEC-tunnels which would have to be reconfigured on the other end of
the tunnels ... this change would trigger lots of things, so I prefer to
just find that one (tiny?) database-edit to make that frontend listen ...

I also read of people port-forwarding this via SSH, so that they are
able to connect to the frontend listening on localhost only. Now that I
have ssh running on the minimyth-FE I could try that as well.

I didn't expect that my wrong choice of LAN would hit me when setting up
a remote control ;-)

thanks, Stefan