[mythtv-users] Disk space for frontend-only machine

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 16 16:25:49 UTC 2012

On 8/16/2012 04:49, stinga wrote:
> ccl or bigpockets had small disks going for £8 pounds the other day, I
> think 3GB is the minimum so all my 1 and 2 GB are useless :-(.

3GB is only the minimum if you're talking about using a full desktop
distro like Ubuntu.  I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at one
point, MiniMyth would produce an install complete with headers,
documentation, and all libraries, at small enough for a 256MB CF card.
I know at least one user is running a ~120MB SquashFS image that gets
downloaded over PXE and decompressed into a RAM disk.

On the other hand, all of your 1-2GB drives are for all intents and
purposes useless anyway.  They're like 15 years old.  You can't trust
small rotating machinery to last that long without proper maintenance,
and sitting on a shelf drying out doesn't cut it.