[mythtv-users] Help with Hauppauge HD-PVR IR Blaster

Scot Kreienkamp skreien at wcnet.org
Tue Aug 14 21:10:15 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

I've been using MythTV for a few months now with an HDHomeRun without
problems.  I recently decided to get cable and am attempting to setup an
Hauppauge HD-PVR with IR blaster to use with the cable tuner.  I already
know the tuner is firewire capable, but since my box doesn't have firewire,
and for wider compatibility with other services like Dish, etc, I want to
get the IR blaster working.

I have CentOS 6.3 with MythTV 0.25.2-287, a custom 3.5.1 kernel, HD-PVR
compiled in directly, llirc-0.9.0-89 with lircd_zilog compiled as a module.
I have all the modules installed for the HD-PVR, and I can record video and
audio successfully to a file from the command line from the HD-PVR.  I have
the firmware in /lib/firmware, and I can modprobe lircd_zilog successfully:

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: module is from the staging
directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver
initializing

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: probing IR Tx on Hauppage HD PVR I2C
(i2c-5)

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: probe of IR Tx on Hauppage HD PVR
I2C (i2c-5) done. Waiting on IR Rx.

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: probe of IR Tx on Hauppage HD PVR
I2C (i2c-5) done

Aug 14 16:59:22 nas kernel: lirc_zilog: initialization complete

But I never get any devices in /dev that are needed for lircd.  At this
point I'm kind of clueless about why.  I've tried everything I can think of
and spent hours googling it and come up with nothing.  Everything I've read
has said it's problems with software versions, but from everything I can
find I have recent enough versions of everything now that it should work.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!