[mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 19:01:59 UTC 2012

> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:04:48 +0200
> From: Staffan Pettersson <staffan.pettersson at gmail.com>
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?
>
> Hi,
>
> I went to a friend last weekend and hi was playing Spotify
> on an Ipad
> to his Airplay receiver. After that i set off reading about
> doing the
> same thing to my mythtv frontend. I saw that pulseaudio had
> support
> for the Raop protocol but was not able to get this to work.
> Mythtv
> shows up has a sound source on my ubuntu laptop but when i
> choose it
> there is no sound and it seems to kill the pulseaudio deamon
> :=(,
> After reading more about airplay and pulseaudio i found out
> that this
> funtion is pretty buggy and using tcp rather then udp :=(

So you want a spotify client written for some device to then serve the audio to a client?  I've done this with Bluetooth + pulseaudio assuming both devices have the stereo bluetooth feature.  The trick is to set pulseaudio up as a server then have a cron job to detect when your device is/is not mated to the audio client.  This worked for me using Debian Testing.  I have no idea if other distros have the right versions of bluetooth and pulseaudio stuff.

A theoretical way to go is to use gmediarender as a playback device on the spotify client using some UPNP middleware.  I started messing with gmediarender as a way to downsample all my HD content for an Android device but real life has gotten in the way.  I don't know if the spotify client is that sophisticated though.