[mythtv-users] How to reset mythfrontend setup password

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 14 15:20:26 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 08:58 AM, Mark Bobak wrote:
> Can someone help?  When I attempted to go into mythfrontend
> 'Settings', I was prompted for a password.  But, I never set one.  Not
> sure what happened here.
>
> Can someone tell me where I can see the currently set password, or
> simply wipe out the currently set password?

The only "password" we have for setup in mythfrontend code is:

Setup PIN code
This PIN is used to control access to the setup menus. If you want to
use this feature, then setting the value to all numbers will make your
life much easier. Set it to blank to disable. If enabled, you will not
be able to return to this screen and reset the Setup PIN without first
entering the current PIN.

If that's it, you can either view/change a value in MythWeb settings or
override it with:

mythfrontend -O SetupPinCode=12345

then go into the main General setting section (not the one under Video)
and change/remove the code properly, then restart mythfrontend.

And, before anyone starts crying foul, this is /not/ a security
mechanism intended to protect you/your MythTV box from people with
malicious intent.  It's simply meant as a way to try to keep
"friendlies" out of setup (i.e. the little ones who are too young to
know not to mess around in there).

Mike|

|* I guess I really should have chosen a PIN that's different from the
combination on my luggage.  Time to change the combo on my luggage, it
seems.