[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 11.10 on ESXi

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:26:12 UTC 2012

> The reason I don't do that is because ESXi5 has a limit of 32GB of RAM and 1 physical CPU.

This is the main reason I recently moved from ESXi to Citrix Xenserver
(free community edition). There is no RAM limit. Having said that my
mobo has a 32GB RAM limit but it's the priniciple that counts. Things
are working out well on XenServer so far,

> I'm using only an HD Homerun.  I don't have a need for anything else

I'm in the middle of setting up Mythbuntu as a Mythbackend VM on my
Xenserver hypervisor with a new HD Homerun. I have read some posts
about UDP traffic potentially flooding the switch if the Homerun is
plugged into the switch rather than the Mythbackend itself. As it's a
VM it's not really possible to plug it into a NIC dedicated to the
Mythbackend VM so how are you dealing with that issue? One idea I had
was to install an additional physical NIC into the Xenserver box and
make sure I only use it for the HD Homerun connection and on no other
VMs - do you think that would work?