[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 11.10 on ESXi

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 14:19:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:

> Jim Oltman wrote:
>
>> I'm having an issue with my 11.10 install of MythBuntu that lives on an
>> ESXi 4.1u2 box
>>

> As Gary pointed out, it may be the leap bug.
>
> I'd also suggest upgrading to ESXi 5, for me it was a painless upgrade for
> my home machine and the one at work.
>
> Doug

Wow!  Tons of responses, thanks so much!  To address them:

Leap Second Bug:  This is probable.  I didn't even think to check.  What's
interesting is that I didn't reboot my system last night, but it's showing
that it was rebooted?

joltman at mythbackend:~$ last
joltman  pts/0        zion.oltmannet.l Mon Aug 13 08:55   still logged in
reboot   system boot  3.0.0-22-generic Mon Aug 13 04:34 - 09:03  (04:28)
reboot   system boot  3.0.0-22-generic Mon Aug 13 03:21 - 09:03  (05:41)
reboot   system boot  3.0.0-22-generic Mon Aug 13 02:42 - 09:03  (06:20)
reboot   system boot  3.0.0-22-generic Mon Aug 13 02:35 - 09:03  (06:27)
joltman  pts/0        tardis.oltmannet Sun Aug 12 21:11 - 21:43  (00:32)

joltman at mythbackend:~$ uname -r
3.0.0-22-generic

I'm not sure why, but TOP is reporting things as normal again.  That's
super annoying.

MythTV's Recording Tuners:

I'm using only an HD Homerun.  I don't have a need for anything else

Ditch ESXi and load FreeNAS natively:

The reason I'm running ESXi is that I have not only FreeNAS running, but
also MythBuntu, another Ubuntu VM  and Windows server 2003.  The second
Ubuntu VM is running my install of Subsonic (along with a couple other web
services), and I want to keep that as separate from MythBuntu as possible.
 The Windows VM is specifically for Home Automation software.  I have the
correct RF light switches, but I haven't installed them yet.  I'm actually
waiting on someone in my family to purchase the Nexus 7 tablet and a Pro
Subscription to iRule so I can integrate everything together.

Upgrade to ESXi5:

The reason I don't do that is because ESXi5 has a limit of 32GB of RAM and
1 physical CPU.  The motherboard I'm running is a SuperMicro X8DTH-6f with
a single Xeon E5520 CPU.  I have the second E5520 at home, but I tried
putting it in the board, and the board didn't boot.  Reason being, I don't
actually have the mobo in a chassis.  It's just sitting out in the open on
a shelf.  It's being powered by a single 550W PSU.  I've tried getting the
correct power into the mobo, but I don't think the CPU has enough umpf to
power the board with both CPUs.  The 6 x 500GB SATA drives are being