[mythtv-users] HDHR fails

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Aug 12 16:01:06 UTC 2012

> I'd stick the HDHR box on its own 100meg cable/nic without a switch
> straight into the myth backend. You save gig ports and its more robust as
> you can reboot your switch without affecting recordings.   With myth
> controlling the box, there's little reason to keep it on your main network.
>  Just set your myth box to server dhcp (fix the address) to the HDHR
> segment and you should be fine.

Yes, direct cabling the HDHR to a cheap PCI nic works great.

However, you do NOT need to have the backend serve DHCP to the HDHR.  Just
set the dedicated NIC to a static 169.254.x.x address with a 255.255.0.0
netmask (no gateway or dns).  The HDHR gets a link local address
(169.254.x.x) almost immediately after it boots.  Sure it pulls a different
address on every boot, but you should never configure the backend to
connect it by IP anyway, so it doesn't matter if it changes every time the
HDHR starts.

My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this, no other config necessary
for the HDHR segment:

# primary NIC
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static